This Man Collected Bottle Caps for 5 Years to Remodel His Kitchen and the Results are Fascinating
You’ve seen those kitchen remodelling and home improvement shows. By the end of each episode, you can’t believe the before and after photos. But one man’s idea blows away anything you’ve ever seen on those made-for-TV shows.
This man collected over 2500 bottle caps in a five-year time-span to remodel his kitchen counter-top. At first, it may sound easy. But once you see the tedious process he went through to achieve his goal, you will have a new-found appreciation.
The most interesting aspect was that colour coordination was a specific requirement. But he soon scrapped that objective after several restarts. “Initially I was being pretty anal about cap alignment, colour disbursement etc.,” he said. “In the end, we decided to introduce entropy and New Holland’s Dragon’s Milk, which I feel was the secret ingredient.”
And now his counter-top is the talk of the neighbourhood. And needless to say, it’s a perfect conversation starter for parties.
Here is how his kitchen looked before the remodelling process began. His goal was to redo the plain black counter-top.
All told, he, along with his family and friends, collected a whopping total of 2530 bottle caps in five years.
The tedious process began by sorting the bottle caps based on hue. “Basically tried to bucket them into ROYGBIV,” he said.
According to Wikipedia, “ROYGBIV or Roy G. Biv is an acronym for the sequence of hues commonly described as making up a rainbow: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. A rainbow spans a continuous spectrum of colours; the distinct bands are an artefact of human colour vision.”
Two large pieces of quality 5/8″ plywood form the base. The rails are 1 1/2″ poplar and were notched with a table saw and hand routed.
Painted matte black with several cans of Rustoleum. The finish does not have to be perfect since it will be covered in epoxy. “[But] it needs to be as close to perfectly level as possible, otherwise, the epoxy resin will “pool” in low spots. The initial concept was to lay out an image comprised of bottle caps, then reality set in and we opted for the much easier gradient effect.”
“This is resin, which fills any available airspace. It was better to just pour the resin slowly making thin layers, not thick enough to cover the caps. It took ~5 layers to thoroughly cover the caps. Visually, we felt it would be more interesting dispersing various caps to add pops of color. You can see how we laid them out allowing the caps to “flow” into each other, rather than having hard color stops. I am so proud of this project. It is a real conversation piece and we did it together, true DIY.”
To check out the original article, click here.
Call Us or Fill in this Contact Form and we will be in touch very soon: